November 12, 2015

DIY: Washi Tape Printed Pouch + Washi Tape Crafts Book Review

I was sent a copy of the book to review, but all opinions are my own.

Washi tape is one of those things you collect and collect and then realize you have a lot of. There are a lot of uses for them! I mostly just use them to decorate notebooks and my planner these days - but I was recently sent a copy of Washi Tape Crafts (Workman Publishing) written by my friend Amy Anderson (amazing woman behind Mod Podge Rocks) to review and let me tell you - it has re-ignited my passion for crafting with these fun paper tapes. I'm sharing with you a project I made that was inspired by one of her projects in her new book - let's jump in!



Supplies:
  • Washi tape in different prints
  • Iron-on transfer paper
  • Iron
  • Paper + Pen
  • Scissors
  • Pouch
  • Scanner

Start by making or purchasing a pouch. I quickly sewn one up for this project - but you can definitely get one at the craft store or sometimes even Target's dollar spot section. Roughly trace the shape of your pouch onto a piece of printer paper. It doesn't have to be exact - you just want to know the rough width and height of it.



Collect the washi tapes you want to use. I used some of the pretty washi tapes that came with the Washi Tape Crafts book and some of my own.



Build your washi design onto the paper. The book comes with 10 different washi tapes, and they're all so cute. I am so in love with the pink sprinkles one! You can reposition the tapes until you achieve your design.



Scan the image onto your computer and print it onto iron-on transfer paper. I couldn't resist and added a sentiment to it - to add one on yours, simply use any image editor and type your sentiment in! If you are using iron-on transfer for light fabric, flip your image before printing. You don't have to cut right up to the design either, as the transfer sheet becomes transparent on the white areas. If you are using iron-on transfer for dark fabric, DO NOT flip your image - you will want to cut as close as possible to the design as well, leaving no blank areas.



Iron your image according to the transfer paper package's instructions. You need to be patient with this - I can't stress it enough! I've had a few projects fail because I wasn't putting enough pressure, ironing it long enough, etc.



Peel off the paper slowly after it has cooled. And voila! You are done. Isn't it pretty?



If you want a darker/brighter print, I suggest using iron-on transfer for dark fabric, as it is opaque and would make the tape pop more. But I love how mine turned out! It's a perfect gift for my little sister who loves crafting as much as I do. 


I really love this project - and I wouldn't have thought of it had I not been inspired by one of the projects in Amy's new book.

Amy Anderson's Washi Tape Crafts from Workman Publishing

Don't forget to check it out - Washi Tape Crafts (Workman Publishing) - it's chock full of different ideas you can make with washi tape! Plus just the 10 washi tapes with it are so pretty too. It's a great gift for any crafter or planner junkie. What do you like making with your washi tape? Let me know in the comments - and of course, happy crafting!



2 comments :

  1. Wow! Love this!!! Thanks for the tutorial :) Pinned it to try later. Thanks for the book review, I think I need it since I have LOTS of washi tapes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trendy and ready to use grocery bags. Now available with different catchy and stylish fonts. Go get your bag today and make your friends jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS